The main feature of this level is the adult cinema. It can be entered either through a fire escape which leads into the one large cinema screen in the building, or by blowing a hole in the ticket office at the front of the building. The cinema contains one cinema screen, a lobby, some toilets, an arcade and a projection room.
- In the street, jump up onto the crate, jump onto the sloped ledge, and then jump onto the higher ledge that crosses the road (underneath the "Innocent?" sign).
- From the sloped ledge in Secret 1, jump into the building through the second or third window from the right. You'll arrive in an L-shaped room, with a small bed with a box of RPG ammo on it. That RPG ammo is the second secret.
- Inside Secret 2, use the "Biker Bimbos" movie poster at the far end of the room to reveal some Steroids.
- In the lobby, use the cash register to open a hidden room high up in one of the walls of the lobby (to the right as you're standing behind the snack bar looking out). Stand underneath the hole and use the wall. A hidden platform will raise you up to the room, in which you'll find some Armor.
- In the projection room, use the brick wall next to the fire extinguisher near the stairs. (You can also get there through the vent leading from the bathroom.)
- In the projection room, jump up onto the projector to open a hidden area of that room.
- Open the curtains of the cinema screen (the switch is in the projection room), and blow up the crack in the screen to reveal a hidden area behind the screen.
- In the street, one of the windows next to the cinema sign leads to a hidden room. Either jump (from the tree) or fly into it.
Easter eggs Edit
- At one end of the street (where Secret 1 is) is a billboard with "INNOCENT?" written on it. This is a reference to the infamous OJ Simpson trial. The trial is referred to again in E3M7: Fahrenheit. O.J. was found "Not Guilty".
- In the Arcade, the pinball machine in the corner is called "Balls of Steel". This is the name of a PC game by 3D Realms.
- In the Arcade, there is a "Duke Nukem II" game machine. The image on the screen resembles the box art from Duke Nukem II. When you use this machine, Duke will comment that "I don't have time to play with myself", and a panel briefly opens in the wall next to the machine containing a Holoduke.
- In the bathroom, above the upper right part of the leftmost urinal, is written the phone number "867-5309". This is a reference to the Tommy Tutone hit "867-5309/Jenny".
- In the bathroom, at the bottom right of the wall in the right-hand toilet cubicle, is written the message "STRYKER METRONET.COM". This was Allen Blum's e-mail address for a while (but is now unused). There is no "@" symbol, though, but a space has been left for it.
- Where It All Began from the add on Duke: Nuclear Winter is a modified version of this level. The modified version is the second level in the expansion.
- The skycar that appears at the start of this level is undoubtedly the main inspiration for the drivable version in the Dukeplus mod.
- There is a small hidden place in a wall corner near the elevator leading to the Arcade, containing several items including Pipe Bombs. It is not counted as a secret, though.
- Despite being the first level, you can find all weapons available in the first episode here. It's not a common practice in games. However, Chaingun Cannon and Pipe Bomb can be found only in well-hidden secrets.
- During development, this map had a bank across the street from the theater, and a bridge going from the innocent sign to a garage where you would have started the level. This was removed to make sure that computers of the day would reach a minimum of 20fps while looking around.
There are several ways to quickly complete this level. The level can be completed in about 15 seconds.
|Method 1||This method works only in Come Get Some difficulty. Drop straight down into the street, and run around to the back of the cinema. Jump onto the Pig Cop, then onto the small ledge to the right of the door. From that ledge, you can jump straight to the bridge that leads to the exit.|
|Method 2||Drop straight down into the street, and head straight for Secret 3 to get the Steroids. Use the Steroids and jump straight out of the window onto the ledge on the far side of the street. Follow the ledge around the building to the bridge that leads to the exit.|
Megaton Edition Edit
20th Anniversary World Tour Edit